Activity: UX Design with Susan Simkins from Big Wing Media
Description of Activity: Donuts and Demo Presentation
Date(s) of Activity (also include times): October 14, 2017 @ 10am
- Why did you select this activity? I am very interested in the field of UX Design.
- Would you recommend this activity for other students? Why or why not? I thought this was a fascinating talk, not just about UX but about the changing concepts within the tech field. Careers are constantly changing and evolving as new expectations and demands are being made.
- What did you like best about this activity? I enjoyed learning about the different resources to check out if one is interested in pursuing a career in this field. And learning about Atomic Design which was a great new discovery for me!
- What did you like least about this activity? How would you make the activity better? I thought it was a great presentation! I would have liked if it lasted longer with more explanation of the day-to-day.
- What is a creative idea/concept you can take away from this experience and possibly implement into your work? I plan on going through all the resources she listed and delving deeper into UX. It’s such a new and evolving field that I can’t wait to see what happens next, especially in OKC!
UX Team of One by Leah Buley
Just Enough Research by Erika Hall
Observing the User Experience
Interaction Design Foundation
YouTube (Research sources)
This week I’ve been learning all about Accessibility and the User Experience. I gotta say, after learning about what User Experience Designers do, I’m fascinated and actively researching the field! So much goes into the User Experience than just the look of the webpage. I had no idea!
This week’s group chat discussed the brand new CSS grid layout that hit the web recently. I could have REALLY used this for my last assignment! Trying to figure out floats and inline-blocks in CSS is quite the trip for a newbie developer. Shout out to all the extremely helpful developers on Twitter and in real life who helped me with that debacle.
It’s time to design layouts like we design everything else — typography, color — unique to each project -Jen Simmons
Jen Simmons’ article
on the new CSS grid layout enlightened me on what I need to focus on going forward. After reading her article, I scoured the web and Twitter on anything and everything I could find on this new layout and its future. There’s a lot of excitement about this. I guess my own frustrations about CSS layout were pretty commonplace.
For this week’s group chat we had to read two articles on popular framework site, Bootstrap. I haven’t gotten far enough in the coursework yet to have played around with Bootstrap but I’ve heard about it from friends and fellow students to be curious about it.
The pro-Bootstrap article can be found here.
The anti-Bootstrap article can be found here.
This week we read this article by Codementor about landing your first developer job without a Computer Science degree. As a newbie developer who lacks this degree (but I’m super when it comes to language arts degrees!), this article was a must read!